Saint Patrick’s Cathedral has a strong musical tradition, with music playing an integral part in its daily life since its foundation in the thirteenth century.
Henri de Londres (consecrated Archbishop of Dublin in 1213) created a college of sixteen vicars choral who lived within the precincts of the cathedral. Archbishop Richard Talbot (Archbishop of Dublin from 1418–49) endowed a college of six minor canons and six boy choristers in 1431. His purpose was to ensure the provision of polyphonic choral music in the Cathedral. Some three centuries later the combined choirs of Christ Church and Saint Patrick’s Cathedrals sang the first performance of Handel’s oratorio Messiah on 13 April 1742.
Receive our monthly newsletter for news and information